Ghosts of Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat is a crowed place. Any time of the day. At sunrise a few thousand people descent there to see the sun coming from behind the temple and it does not get any less crowded later on in the day as bigger buses come with many more tourists. I was really surprised at how many people were there for sunrise. Our tuck-tuck picked us up from hotel in Siem Reap at 5AM, and as we were getting closer to the entrance of Angkor Wat, more and more tuck-tucks joined us in the same direction. Dozens of them. By the time we offloaded at the entrance to it there were hundreds of people walking towards the temple.

I took this photo because of the little reflection in the water, ignoring all the people. It was a quick shot before I moved closer the temple as well. Later on we had a chance to spend some time in the temple and walk through thousand years old halls and tunnels. Last night as I looked at this photo it gave me feeling that all those walking shadows are from centuries of people who once walked on these stones and long ago been dead.

This entry was posted in Angkor Wat, Cambodia and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Ghosts of Angkor Wat

1. This is beautiful, the reflection is really soo striking…

2. Rajiv says:

A beautiful representation of Angkor Wat

3. Love the gray colors and the reflection. Would love to see Angkor Wat.

4. Nelson says:

I love the ghost effect you created with a slow shutter speed

5. Mary says:

Very nice. I love the ghostly people.

6. Nice reflections on the temple and sky. Yes it seems as if there are too many people at Angkor Wat. I’m concerned that it not be able to stand up to the crowds.

I think every moment it’s possible there will come a gost

8. simon7banks says:

There was a two-part programme on British TV recently about the Cambodian civilisation that produced Angkor Wat. It used new technology to map structures hidden in jungle. They reckoned at its height the city had a quarter of a million people and was the biggest in the world at the time.

9. margaretsmn says:

Beautiful image of the temple, reflection, and ghostly people.

10. Sleepyxyz says: