Cats and Deck Rail

A few years ago when I designed the deck for my house I wanted to make sure it does not provide large sleeping platform on the rail for our cats. Deck is very high off the ground and I didn’t want them flying down half asleep. Also I wanted it to not block any view. Wrought iron rail was a perfect solution for this.

After it was built, it did not take long for our cats to claim it as their perimeter observation route, going back and forth from one end to the other. At least they are not sleeping on it.

Its been raining for the last couple days and everything is of course wet, but for one of our cats it was not the reason of not getting some acrobatics under his belt. I guess after sleeping most of the day and getting bored inside the house he needed to walk on the wet rail. I had to grab my camera and snap a few photos, with this one being one of my favorites.

Pushkin

Then I paid  a bit more attention to the flowers and how pretty they looked with water drops. Of course I could not resist but take a few photos of them as well.

and here is another one

This entry was posted in Winston-Salem and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Cats and Deck Rail

1. A fine lucky black cat, MM 🍀

2. Laura says:

That picture of the cat is absolutely beautiful!

3. onnovocks says:

A wrought iron rail is not a bad idea if you can plan in advance, most of the houses I’ve lived in had the pressure treated railings that the cats would use for a lookout post. Luckily the decks weren’t very high, so I never had to worry about them falling off. That Cat looks just like one I used to have, I wonder if this one shares the other traits other than it’s looks. Mine was friendly to some, but generally more wild than domesticated and had the ability to jump straight up to about 7 Ft. from a seated position. Nice shot, thanks for posting!

Gorgeous photo of your black cat

5. Amy says:

Beautiful rain drop captures!

6. Love it! The black cat on the black rail with the delicate rained on pink cyclamen? Great contrasts. Sometimes you gotta pick up that camera!

7. BookOfBokeh says:

Wonderful. wonderful macros!

8. Great photos! It can be tough to capture detail on black animals but you’ve done an excellent job!

9. Nelson says:

I love the second photo

10. Gorgeous photos all. Love the kitty! 🙂

11. Heartafire says:

Gorgeous, especially Kittie.

12. Inge says:

Your cat looks like mine! S/he looks so cute!

13. Boyer Writes says:

Wonderful shot! Worth framing.

14. Just loved the canine beauty!

15. It’s amazing what cats can do! Excellent portrait of your acrobatic feline.

16. hugmamma says:

Contrary to ancient myths, black cats are ordinarily awesome…as captured by your lens! BTW…no photos of Hawaii…from where I hail?

17. And that is why I like cats more then dogs ….. They do exactly what they want.