Friday Mystery Photo

When we started the hike it was partially cloudy and the higher we went, the cloudier it got and at the top of the mountain the visibility was about 30-50 feet. In all directions. I waited for about 30 minutes hoping that the winds will blow this cloud out, but it did not happen. This overlook is actually right on the border between two States.

Do you know the name of the mountain?

Weekend Update: As many of you identified, it is Clingman’s Dome in the Smoky Mountains National Park. This park is split between North Carolina and Tennessee. If you look on the map, this specific spot is shown right on the border of the two states, not sure where exact line is, as I didn’t see any signs around there indicating actual border.

This entry was posted in North Carolina, Smoky Mountains National Park, Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Friday Mystery Photo

1. Ankur Sharma says:

I am curious how this same image would look like in Black and White, Dmitrii. Maybe you should try it out!

2. suej says:

Makes my legs wobble just looking at it!

3. kazg10 says:

Great picture. I’m not great with heights so unless it was really foggy I don’t think I could walk up to that lookout. I think I know where it is… looks a little smoky to me….

4. Clingman’s Dome 🙂

5. We took the train to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire a few years ago. When we boarded the train it was sunny and around 70 degrees, when we got off the train at the mountain peak, it was about 25 degrees and so foggy we couldn’t see 20 feet in front of us.

6. klheavrin says:

Clingman’s Dome.

7. Lori D says:

I have no idea where it is, but talk about the road to nowhere. Really cool shot.

8. RobynG says:

Superb composition.

9. Nikki says:

This is so, so cool!!! And the skybridge is so sturdy that even an acrophobe like me could handle it… unlike the bridge over the Royal Gorge in Colorado, which I had to creep across, board by board, trying not to look down through the cracks. 😉

Great picture but unknown for me

11. Yes, Clingman’s Dome in the Smokey Mountains, great memories of a vacation with my sons a few years ago – thanks for the memories!

12. gacochran says:

Looking forward to hiking here in October! Clingman’s Dome!

13. Hauntingly beautiful picture. Have you thought of shooting this in black and white with infrared film. Check it out if you want to explore the ethereal glow, contrast, and color shifts of infrared without modifying your camera.