Grand Prismatic

This was probably one of the coolest hot springs in the Yellowstone National Park. There are many others, but none are this big, colorful and have sweet observation points from the near by hills. There is a boardwalk around it if you want to get a close look, and probably 99% of the tourists do just that and then move on to other hot springs or geysers. I knew that there is a way to see it from above, so we found another parking area with trailhead that takes you along the river, where at one point you can climb up the hill to get a better view of the Grand Prismatic. The hike up the hill is not the easiest one, it goes up, almost vertically, with switch backs, across fallen pine trees and dusty soft grey dirt. From the spot where I took this photo there were no one else but us, pretty much everyone else turned around somewhere way below. Their loss.

We had some snacks, enjoyed the view, while shooting out once in a while: “Bear, Bear”. It was grizzly season and mother with a few cubs was sighted just a few days ago in this area.

As always, all of my photos are better looking at high resolution – all you have to do is click on it and it will open in my photo gallery.

This entry was posted in Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Grand Prismatic

Great shot.I was there 15 years ago

2. Maggie Beck says:

Wonderful photo, Dmitri.

3. travelwritersdirect says:

Hi, I love your blog.
    I’d like to invite you to submit a post to this site.
    The idea of The Travel Writers Directory is to share your writing with like minded people, to read of others experiences and gain exposure. It has only been started recently, so I want to ask you to be one of the first to submit a post. It can be one you have already written before, or a completely new one.
    If you would like to submit an article, please send it, complete with photographs and tags to be included, to travelwritersdirectory@gmail.com

Oh and this is not spam, this is a real thing that I want to get going. My personal blog is http://oxford2osaka.wordpress.com. Thank you
    ~Ed

4. Love Yellowstone!! We saw it in October and it was covered in snow! Would love to go back for spring or summer !

5. Jeremy Sell says:

I’ve always found Grand Prismatic spring to be one of the most fascinating features in Yellowstone. I’m hoping to get out there this autumn to see it up close.

6. raulconde001 says:

Wow! This is the first I have seen the Grand Prismatic.

7. mithriluna says:

Wow! What a sight! I love Yellowstone.