Hagia Sophia

Before visiting Hagia Sophia I had no idea that it is not a practicing Mosque anymore. So before going there we stopped at our hotel and I changed my shorts to pants. You can’t wear shorts in Mosque. It was the middle of summer, around 95F and high humidity, needless to say wearing pants was not super comfortable. I was super annoyed to see all other tourists going through ticket office and none wearing pants. Doing some research prior to visit would avoid this, but I rarely do a lot of research as I don’t like to have a lot of different expectations about places I visit.

Note for next visit to Hagia Sophia – you don’t have to wear clothes that would be required to have in normal Mosque.

The inside was impressive. See it for your self. I shared another photo while back, The View of the Heavens.

This entry was posted in Istanbul, Turkey and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Hagia Sophia

1. fgassette says:

AMAZING SHOT!

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

2. seaangel4444 says:

Absolutely beautiful! Cher xo

3. I always wanted to go there. So beautiful, your pictures.

4. Stunning photo! Hagia Sophia is still one of my favourite mosques ever!!

5. colin says:

It is truly a beautiful place. It is awe inspiring because of its grandeur. There are only two places that made me really feel small Hagia Sophia and Saint Peter’s.

6. Maggie Beck says:

This is somewhere I have wanted to visit since studying it at the university. Thanks for taking me there through your photos.

7. What a remarkable image. I look forward to seeing more. Although you didn’t have to change clothes at least you were prepared. In my travels some temples rented appropriate clothing for those that had not planned ahead, including me.

Fantastic and amazing.I visit it 10 years ago.I never forget!

9. coast72 says:

That’s gorgeous!

10. homesick says:

Much ado about nothing…..

11. Rajiv says:

Oh wow! And, by sheer coincidence I am reading a chapter on the Hagia Sophia now, in a book that I am reading on The History of Christianity.
    I am an atheist, but I find religion fascinating

12. I used to live with this as a child – dressing better for going out is ingrained in my psyche. I think it enriches the experience and when you go to special places it seems proper. This Mosque is stunning and I’m glad you took the time to show up is less casual attire. It did contrast with the holiday look of everyone else which I find unsettling even downtown – best left for the beach or the backyard. Dressing for something special may be old-fashioned but it does enrich the moment.

13. Mardi Linane says:

One of my favorite structures on earth! Lovely post. M

14. Nice to see you again!

15. thebeanskit says: