Hoover Damn

I took this photo from the HW93 bridge over the Colorado river. Sometime in the future I’ll share photo or two from the opposite direction, with the bridge as it is seen from the Hoover Damn. I’m not sure in what state I was as I took this panorama, could be Nevada or it could be Arizona, or who knows, maybe by some wild chance my right foot was in Arizona and left in Nevada.

This is a panorama. Yes, even though it doesn’t look very wide, it is actually three photos stitched together to make this view. To your left edge are the rails of the bridge and to the right edge are the rails as well, well, they are just a few inches away and not in the shot. Most people take panoramas with holding camera in normal horizontal condition, but the trick to get wide angle panoramas and not to bend it all like crazy is to turn your camera vertically, like shooting in portrait mode and get your panorama shots that way. You’ll have to take a few more photos to cover the desired area, but then you’ll have more room to cut out if necessary from the top or bottom of your final shot. BTW, the original high resolution image of this photo in my photo gallery  is a whooping 8756 by 9409 pixels, 49MB file, if you click on the image you’ll be able to download XL size that I share out (for this photo it is 1117 by 1200 pixels, still pretty big). Did you know that there are a lot of people down there on the damn?

Purchase Limited Edition Print of this photo

This entry was posted in Arizona, Hoover Damn, Hoover Damn, Nevada and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Hoover Damn

1. Great shot – it really captures the scale of the place.

2. walism says:

wow.. this is so cool.. great photo.

Woooow I never seen a bigger dam like this Hoover Damn. Thanks for the instructions to make the panorama photo.

4. Reblogged this on Creative Eye Kandi and commented:
    I’m #lookingForArt and #lookingForArtists for my #newArtWebsite #dedicatedToCreativity and those who appreciate it. http://www.creativeEyeKandi.com
    #digitalArt #paint #drawing #photograhy #graphicDesign #sculpture #pottery #abstractart #contemporaryart #modernArt #Jewelry #tattoo #tattooartist #glassart #metalart #allArtWelcome

5. Thats amazing. Fantastic shot.

6. You really capture the scale of the dam. Well done!

7. This is an amazing shot of the dam! We visited this area a few months ago and were stunned at the size and beauty of the structure. Your ideas on getting a panoramic shot that isn’t twisted crazy are great. My husband and I both want to follow you – he is the guy I steal photos from – http://throughtheluminarylens.wordpress.com

8. Totally awesome, dude. Fantastic work.

9. juditon says:

Very good shot, I presume you kept the EXIF?

yes, just click on the photo, it will be opened in my photo gallery at smugmug, there click on any photo on the left side, it will show preview on the right, as you hover over the preview on the right side you’ll see a little dialog box showing up with blue “i”, click on it and it will open information window with photo details, most EXIF will be shown in it.

10. By showing the cars up on the road it really gives an idea of the size of the dam.

11. rommel says:

This is nothing like what I have taken. I feel so small now.

12. Ed Spadoni says:

We visited HD on 2010 just before the bridge opened. Your image is exactly what I imagined the view would be. Well done.

13. kelihasablog says:

Wow, that’s magnificent!

14. Sue says:

Wow, thats an awesome photograph of the Hoover Damn…Very beautiful… 🙂

15. Whoa!! This is a stunner. I feel like I’m flying right towards the dam.

16. joserasan66 says:

Una Hermosa Perspectiva, Me gusta…

17. Pretty amazing photo and I’ve learned from your tips too 🙂

18. This is easily the scariest place I’ve ever been. Good job capturing the scale– however it’s no match to looking down that dam… damn.

19. terrietez says:

I have taken a similar photo of Hoover Dam. Again, it rekindles all my happy memories of many trips to USA!