Sugar Mountain is Out There

Hiking NC Mountains

A few weeks ago I shared this short time lapse, in case you missed it, here it is.

Hiking NC Mountains – Grandfather Mountain from Dmitrii on Vimeo.

The Valley Beneath

This is the photo you see at a 40 second time spot in the above video. If you look at the higher resolution photo (click on the one below) you’ll be able to see a high rise on the top of the mountain. It is Sugar Mountain, with one of the few NC ski resorts. Somehow back in seventieth they got approval to build this apartment monstrosity. A real eye sore on the beautiful mountain landscape. Of course the entire valley beneath is fully developed as well, there are a few country clubs down there with super expensive houses, just not as visible.

This entry was posted in Grandfather Mountain, McRae Peak, North Carolina, Sugar Mountain and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sugar Mountain is Out There

1. Beautiful time-lapse, and your photos are positively edible 🙂

2. Madoqua says:

What an awesome scene, very beautiful and extremely well captured

3. John says:

Great picture! The apartment complex is indeed a big pimple on the mountainside…

4. Ah, but you can’t be 20!

5. scillagrace says:

I like the photo, I like the mountain, but can I ‘unlike’ the apartment complex? Grrrr….

6. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    A very nice video and photo, a beautiful spot, I agree about the complex, it does look out of place. 🙂

7. Truels says:

Great shot of this breattaking panorama!

8. niasunset says:

WOW! What a great shot… Fascinated me. Thank you, and also Thank you for visiting my blog too. I am so glad to meet you and your photography. With my love, nia

9. Absolutely beautiful ! Wish I was there.

10. Thank you for visiting my blog. I followed you here, and I am delighted. I am from North Carolina and am familiar with Grandfather Mountain and Sugar Mountain. I lived in Marion, N.C. I loved the video. So nice to see the mountains again! Thank you for such wonderful photography. George

11. svaleri says:

Absolutely gorgeous. Inspires me to get out of town, or add some good landscapes to my drawings!