The Tale of the Fisherman and the Golden Fish

After taking this photo I thought about this old Russian tale about Fisherman and the Golden Fish. Alexander Pushkin wrote it for all of us to enjoy and it even been animated. Here is link to old Russian animation of this story. I grew up knowing this story, so I asked my wife if she knows it as well and she did not. So I guess since Disney didnโ€™t adopt it, most folks growing up here would never hear about it.

The main moral of this tale is that greed will get you nothing. The old wife of the fisherman learned that he cached and released a gold fish. He released it when the fish spoke to him in human voice and pleaded for her life in exchange for any gift he wanted. The old man didnโ€™t want any gift and he released the fish. His wife had different idea, she wanted new things, new washing machine at first, then better house, then a palace, then to be the queen and finally to be the most powerful queen of the entire ocean, including the golden fish. You can guess how the story ends.

Order a Limited Addition print of this photo

This entry was posted in Biltmore House, North Carolina and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to The Tale of the Fisherman and the Golden Fish

1. Very, very nice! I love HDR.

2. bestweddingdressforyou says:

amazing place ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Wonderful photo! I like it.

4. Beautiful. Just a quick question: I’m thinking of getting my 1st SLR. Would you recommend that I bought it 2nd hand?

Hi, you can do that, it will save you money, of course you have to keep in mind if it has any left warranty, how much it was used, etc. It can be a hit or miss. There are a few entry level DSLR cameras you can choose from, or you can get one of the mirrorless SLRs, this is the future, they are much smaller but deliver the same quality as midsize DSLRs. personally, i like to have a brand new one, just for warranty reasons

5. Elena says:

wow! Looks like a fairytale!

6. Elena says:

since I was a little girl, I loved this story! .. memories, memories ..

7. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    A very nice photo, beautiful grounds, and I love the architecture of the building a lot of work went into it, it is stunning. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Gorgeous pic! I love the angle you took it! And I loved the tale you referred too! I didn’t know about it!

9. Madhu says:

Awesome! Perfect caption for your fairytale image ๐Ÿ™‚ We have a woodcutter and axe version of the same story here in India ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Inge says:

It looks just like a painting. Wonderful! ๐Ÿ™‚

11. oh. wow. nice ๐Ÿ™‚

12. This is outstanding. The photo could be a beautiful oil painting.
    Love the fairytale connection. This was always a very telling
    story. Nice …..

13. iamlenise says:

This is beautiful!! Looks like a scene from a fairy tale ๐Ÿ™‚

14. focalbreeze says:

Such a brilliant photo. I love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. focalbreeze says:

Reblogged this on Focal Breeze and commented:
    Lovely photo taken here .. =) Hope one day I can take such amazing pictures

16. jkgphotos says:

Just beautiful and I love the connection it holds for you with the fairy tale.

17. orples says:

What a dynamite photo, which I might add fits perfect with the fairy tale you outlined … the only thing missing here is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (not really a part of the fairy tale, but should be included with the rainbow ๐Ÿ˜‰ )! I see, you did include the fish … Great post! ๐Ÿ™‚

18. The picture transported me to the place where the story you mentioned must have been played out! Beautiful shot.

19. Awesome picture Dimitri. The story really adds to the image also

20. jazzersten says:

Thanks for the great story and the photo complements it perfectly.

21. Gorgeous shot!! Love how you caught the fish in the image as well!

22. Geert Markey says:

Thanks for posting, the story is very popular here in Eastern Europe

23. I enjoy the slight unreality about this. It speaks of fairytales with a leg in both worlds.

24. Lori DiNardi says:

I agree with Elena, looks like a fairytale, and also like a painting. Just beautiful. Did I miss the location? Is it the Biltmore?

yes, it is Biltmore House in Asheville NC. More photos from that night are coming soon. I processed a few of them at the same time and will publish over the next week or so.

25. Lynne Ayers says:

This definitely looks like something out of a fairy tale.

26. Wow breathtaking ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Rebecca Booth says:

Beautiful angle

28. thirdeyemom says:

Wow this is a knock out!!!

29. jaurbanphoto says:

love the composition! very gorgeous photo and the fish is the perfect “unique” object.

30. I really really love this shot! I haven’t been to the Biltmore Estate in years! I hope you got some garden shots coming up!

31. samacwns says:

That is gorgeous! I love it!

32. Nice HDR effect, Dmitri. Not too over stated. Just about perfect really.

33. Ethereal and majestic, love this shot and the details, I hardly no where to look first. I love it!

34. Mother of 2 and No More says:

Wow! Stunning!

35. Beautiful photo and tale to match, oh and thank you for following my blog!

36. jmpix says:

stunning hdr…i love it!

37. 8teen39 says:

Asheville NC? Would have bet it was European. Beautiful setting, beautiful capture.

38. Thank you for posting the link to that incredible animation; I love this story and have an old illustrated book from Soviet Russia, that I’ve had since childhood – it brings back many fond memories!

39. Great capture of Zolotaya Rybka! ๐Ÿ™‚

40. adrien94 says:

stunning ! colors and lights are very beautiful ! nice framing!

41. kerioke says:

Great tale, and love the image.

42. melissakoski says:

Beautiful photograph!

43. Absolutely breathtaking…. Your eye is amazing!

44. Excellent photo! I love the grandeur of the Biltmore.

45. Dee Browning photography says:

Great composition. Miksang!

46. gilmarcil says:

Great image! Your house?

47. Pingback: My Favorite โ€œYear of Picsโ€ Photos So Far, from A to Z: Third Time is a Charm ยซ ShutterbugSage.com

48. Pingback: My Favorite โ€œYear of Picsโ€ Photos So Far, from A to Z: Third Time is a Charm ยซ ShutterbugSage.com

49. Shutterbug Sage says:

I love this photo so much that I blogged about it in my third “A to Z” post of the year here:
    http://ayearofpics.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/my-favorite-year-of-pics-photos-so-far-from-a-to-z-third-time-is-a-charm/ Check it out if you get a sec!

I really enjoy following your blog!