Mt St Helen

Resting… Waiting for next blow up… It could be in our lifetime, could be thousand years from now…

This entry was posted in Mt St Helen, Washington and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Mt St Helen

1. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    A very nice photo, you would not believe the devastation that the mountain can cause, it just looks so peaceful and serene in the photo.

2. frenchfry36 says:

I like the delicate plants in the foreground as a total contrast to the massive magesty of the mountain behind.

3. A lovelly image. Foreground a great contrast. But when ever an image of St. Helen is shown my mind flashes back to those dramatic scenes of devastation……the power that could so quickly be released. Reminds us all how fragile we are in so powerful a world/universe!

4. azleader says:

Just so you know… before May 18th, 1980 there were 13 or 14 eruptions of St Helens from 1800 to 1857.

It’s likely that the next big eruption will be sooner rather than later. It has a long history of eruptions. Native American Indians had many names for St. Helens… including “Lady of Fire” and “Smoking Mountain”.

My favorite picture I took of St. Helens was one on Johnston Ridge at the spot where Volcanologist David Johnston met his maker. His famous last words were, “Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it”. His body was never found.

yep, she can blow any time. recently we watched documentary on national geographic about it, amazing stuff. the cool part was how quickly life around it recovered, only took 2-3 years for lakes to get oxigen back and get the whole cycle going.

5. ellyhuizinga says:

Thank you very much. I have a sort of project about making mountains, so at the moment, I,m glad with every mountain I see, so thanks a lot for your beautiful mountain.

6. Nice composition! The part of Mount St. Helens which had the devastating landslide in contrast with the bright flowers in the foreground symbolizing how life never ceases, beautiful :).

7. rose says:

Beautiful, thank you for sharing this.

8. John says:

Not much left of it. Witness God’s power. 🙂

9. rutheh says:

A stunning shot, perfectly composed and lots to think about.

10. Mary says:

The plants are such a delightful contrast to the mountain. Great shot of a sleeping giant!

11. The Indian roses in the foreground soften the harsh mountain. Beautiful shot.

12. rozsmallfry says:

Gorgeous contrast between the new and ancient, bright and stark.

13. The different terrains showcase what a volcano can do.
    The flowers look like they are defying it’s power.
    Very nice ….

14. Josy says:

A chilling thought.

A lovely photo!

15. wow it looks gorgeous out there. Mt St Helens is on my bucket list of places to visit. I need to plan that soon…

16. melmannphoto says:

Great perspective on this image. I get a real sense of the expanse of valley just beyond the flowers leading to the mountain. Still looks pretty ominous after all these years.

17. Beautiful and stunning. Thanks. Jay

18. samacwns says:

It’s been a long time since I’ve been there…thanks for sharing!

19. Sibella says:

I like the colorful wildflowers in the foreground and then the massive giant with its snowy peaks in the back. Lovely! 🙂

20. Truels says:

Great photo of a great and beautiful ( and dangerous) mountain. You found a super foreground with these red flowers!

21. Pingback: My Favorite “Year of Pics” Photos So Far, from A to Z: Third Time is a Charm « ShutterbugSage.com

22. Shutterbug Sage says:

I love this photo so much that I blogged about it in my third “A to Z” post of the year here:
    http://ayearofpics.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/my-favorite-year-of-pics-photos-so-far-from-a-to-z-third-time-is-a-charm/ Check it out if you get a sec!

I really enjoy following your blog!

23. Pingback: My Favorite “Year of Pics” Photos So Far, from A to Z: Third Time is a Charm « ShutterbugSage.com