The Hook

I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. It is going to rain all day here in North Carolina. For all the new visitors, I have almost 400 photos on this site, from different places, explorer it on the right side under categories.

Nor Cal

We are going for a little spring break to San Francisco. Two days around Napa Valley, couple days in the city and then couple days near Big Sur. Anyone have any recommendations for some cool photography around those places? I’m sure we’ll be overwhelmed with what that area has to offer, but if there are some interesting places off beaten pass, we might try to make there too.

In Boston

Many people will probably recognize downtown Boston. Cloudy sunset in a cool city. Enjoy.

This entry was posted in Boston, Massachusetts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to The Hook

1. travelingmad says:

This is a really beautiful photo. I could see this as a postcard or hanging on an office wall.
    I love it!

2. It has always been cloudy when I have been visiting Boston and your images captures the good memories and the spirit (well my feelings of the spirit) of the City. HDR works exceptionally well on this image and blends the approaching dusk with the bright lights of the city. Enjoy your break look forward to seeing what you get upto!

3. Love this shot! πŸ™‚

4. Jason Finner says:

I like how the water turned out, good light, good colour.

5. John says:

Nice composite work. Love the Foreground.

6. Tania Smith says:

This is a stunner….nice one! Love the hues πŸ™‚

7. gemantics says:

McWay Falls near Big Sur is an amazing place to take some photos. A beautiful waterfall, beach, and lagoon! Also Bixby Bridge.

Great shot of my home town by the way πŸ™‚

8. kasmango says:

Love the perspective on this… cool shot!

9. Muir Woods is exceptionally beautiful, and while it is a well-known area, there are plenty of unique spots of beauty deep in those woods. Beyond that, the Pacific coastline is just one big photographic wonderland. Enjoy!

10. Brooke says:

Nice! I agree with kasmango!

11. norinep says:

Very nice HDR. Enjoy your trip to CA.

12. Pingback: The Hook | Sunsets & Sunrises around the world

13. Wonderful perspective. Nice!

14. selah says:

my suggestion for the SF area is Bodega Bay..

15. orples says:

The colors, balance, and variety in this shot are amazing. Very interesting and eye catching, indeed. I love the contrast of the dock the dock fixtures in the foreground of the city … they add the spice and character that give this photo its zing, I think. Great share. Thank you.

16. rozsmallfry says:

Spectacular with the rich rust and green patinas.

17. The water looks like a person could almost walk on it. (I wouldn’t be the first to try it though.) Your photos have an almost surrealistic look, like it couldn’t be true.

usually it is not my intent to make them surrealistic, but sometimes it happens, I think on this one a bit more than other. I would not walk on that water ;-),

18. canderson says:

Awesome! Have a great time up hear in NorCal. Big Sur is stunning. Seconds on what gemantics said. I was there back in January for the first time and was blown away by the beauty of it. Up around the bay there’s no shortage of lovely things to shoot as well. Muir woods is great, Oakland redwoods are less crowded and maybe even a few better hikes. Of course all over SF. Would love to see your HDR skills in SF Chinatown!

19. teawithbetty says:

We love the Napa Valley…the whole valley is picturesque (about 30 miles long and 2 miles wide)…You’ll get stunning shots of grapevines from almost anywhere. Depending what you are looking for, there are old barns to new state of the art wineries. Head up Spring Mountain for awesome sites between the Napa and Sonoma County lines… or over to the Silverado Trail, then up small roads for interesting sites and fine vineyards. The mustard plants were in massive bloom a few weeks ago, they might still be. Check out Wicker Vineyards for a small winery experience in Howell Mountain area at wickervineyards.com…they are locals and can steer you in any direction you need for photo opps. – have fun…the food there is incredible – check out the Culinary Institute building too.

20. What an amazing photo, I love everything about it πŸ˜€

21. Wow…just love the detail in this shot; from the cement to the lights in the windows.

22. Bashar Saidi says:

Very Creative. Amazing shot.

23. kt11 says:

So nice. That is awesome. How many different exposures for this shot?

24. Dmitrii says:

thanks all for your kind comments!

25. Thanks for the like on my post, “Leafy and Leafless”.
    I’m happy to discover your blog. Your photographs
    are simply awesome! I now follow.

26. Love your HDR. What software did you use?

27. Know you’ll find some really unique places to photograph on this trip. It is a wonderful area. Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos.
    I appreciate you stopping by the PCA blog. Continued Success, Jay

28. You will find some very unique and wonderful places to photograph on your trip. One of my favorite places is the Carmel area and the tide pools which are teaming with life. Keep up the great work, I enjoyed your photos. Thank you for stopping by the PCA blog. Continued Success, Jay

29. cooleur says:

Great pics.

30. Look up Bay St and Van Ness in San Francisco on Google Maps. This is near the Wharf area and Fort Mason. There is a hook looking path at the end of Van Ness that goes into the water. In reality, this is a long curved pier that will give you a great view of the city skyline, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. Check out our blog and you’ll find an example of this shot. Can’t promise if there’s fog, but on a sunny day this is a pretty great view with limited time. Great pictures by the way!! Travel safe.

31. Stevie D says:

That’s some photo Dmitrii. Just dreamland for a point and shoot guy like myself.

32. SR Dryja says:

California Academy of Sciences is a fabulous place to take photos, especially if you can get a view of the living roof from one of the surrounding hills. I also enjoyed Grace Cathedral and its labyrinths for creative inspiration. They have lovely gardens surrounding it. Pacific Heights has a lot of the old Victorian homes that SF is known for. Enjoy! Can’t wait to see what you capture on film!

33. Virginia says:

SF is a great place to get some good pictures! Try Chrissy Field in the Presidio. You can get some great shots of the Golden Gate Bridge and SF Bay. Also try Ocean Beach. I was just in SF last week! Enjoy your trip!!!

34. Steven Tze says:

SF Bay Area – Besides to architecture in the city, Marin Headlands across the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin, use your HDR skills under the Fort Baker Pier or some of the concrete bunkers in the Headlands. Point Reyes an hour north has the seascapes that should keep you occupied, as well as the old Point Reyes boat in the town of Inverness. Lots of good food in Point Reyes Station. Some famous oyster farms that lots of people rave about nearby.

Napa – Not much in the way for vineyard shots right now. Mustard fields are probably still blooming.

Monterey – Wildlife and good morning photography around Moss Landing, north of Monterey.

Big Sur – Too many to list here. You can get a good idea doing a search of Big Sur or PCH on my blog. Heading south on Hwy 1/PCH, these are good locations:
    – Carmel Highlands (the last bit of really expensive homes) during sunset in which the Cypress and Pines provide a great silhouette to the ocean beyond
    – Rocky Creek Bridge
    – Bixby Bridge
    – the obscure entrance to Pfeiffer Beach and the Keyhole Rocks via Sycamore Canyon Road and the 1-2 mile drive to the beach
    – about 1/2 south is the Big Sur Bakery (you need food and a bathroom break, right?)
    – Nepenthe (restaurant, cafe, etc.) with fabulous views above the ocean
    – Henry Miller Library about 1/2 mile to the south on the left and open to the public
    – Julia Pfeiffer State Park and McWay Falls
    – then it’s beautiful scenery for 30-40 miles but nothing stands out or is easy to pull off the side of the road for
    – just north of San Simeon is the elephant seal rookery where depending on the time of the year there can be hundreds of elephant seals laying out and doing the mating thing
    -San Simeon

Haha, just found this webpage that should help you immensely: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/california-pacific-coast-road-trip/

35. Alaska Girl at Heart says:

Amazing as usual. Love the angle of the shot.

36. aqueoussun says:

Beautiful detail….

37. Inge says:

Amazing! I adore your works very much! πŸ™‚

38. annandmeg says:

I was walking around just outside the SF Ferry Building yesterday. There’s a plaza right in front of Embarcadero Center with a crazy looking fountain. It’s not particularly fancy, just very interesting. In North Bay, there are a million places to go that are absolutely stunning. Point Reyes Lighthouse has some beautiful scenery, though it takes awhile to get there. We drove up to Muir Beach Outlook and it was quite beautiful. There are old bunkers up there that were at one time used by the military. I also agree with several others that Muir Woods is a great place. If you go during the week, it’s not as crowded. And even if you go on the weekend, most people don’t go on the steep trails off the main trail. Go up there and you’ll find some great shots.

Have a fabulous trip!

39. artclubblog says:

Wow! You’ve got some really amazing photos.

40. Love your work. Amaing HDR photographs!

Grz. Mark

41. geetalicious says:

Lovely compo and light!

42. innerwesttosoutheast says:

Love this one…

43. Perfect in every respect, my friend! Love it.

44. conniededona says:

good perspective and color!
    NICE!

45. Dave says:

Very creative, nice … Thanks for visiting my blog.

46. kerrids says:

Wow – awesome shot!!! Did you do HDR?? Amazing colours in there!!

47. I just bought my first digital camera, so your photography is inspirational that there’s hope for me yet!

48. Love this shot, Dimitrii. I got hooked by your “hook” title, but everything around it is amazing! Thanks also for liking my “camellia” post. I’m just getting used to HDR editing; you’ve given me great incentive!

49. haciendatreasures says:

THIS PHOTO HAS GOOD BONES. IT DISPLAYS BEAUTY, WARMTH AND COLDNESS. A FINE BLEND.

50. I’m glad that I’ve found your blog, great images with soul in them! Will be back for more!

51. Pingback: Two Year Anniversary | Travel Photography by Dmitrii Lezine