Million Dollar View

You probably had similar situations as I had with taking this photo. I was so excited to discover this little concrete bunker, all walls covered full with graffiti, right across the small bay from super expensive houses. It was a bit dark inside there and I thought I was taking photos with proper focus, looking at LCD it appeared to be good, only to discover later that night looking at uploaded images that the wall is a bit out of focus. How pissed I was!

Anyway, I still like the concept of this photo and want to share it. Maybe next time, if I ever make again to Bainbridge Island, I’ll pay better attention and get it all in focus…

This entry was posted in Bainbridge Island, Washington and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Million Dollar View

1. Wow fantastic 🙂 love the way it looks and it’s framing. amazing photo

2. Ian Beattie says:

We’ve all been there but I don’t think it detracts from this photo.

3. Great image ….well spotted

4. orples says:

Wonderful graffiti, beautiful home beyond, and cool photo. Very creative. Good eye. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

5. Jane Lurie says:

Great capture! Very clever. Thanks!

6. Alastair says:

You would loose the sense of space and distance if the graffiti wall was in focus too. I like it as it is 🙂

7. marionowen says:

Hi Dmitrii, Great image. It speaks on many levels. May I use this as an example in my photography class, which starts in April? And by the way, bring your camera to Kodiak Island some time. You’ll love it! Thanks, Marion

8. Hey, if you’re going to worry about a bit of blur, I should never post another photograph on my own blog. I love your composition and photography in general. Don’t worry about it not being perfect for one time. The image is very eye catching.

well, i don’t mind blur when I originally planned to have a blur. Usually I try to envision what it is going to look like and many times put certain things out of focus on purpose. Here I didn’t plan it. But after all it has its own visual appears, even if it was not originally intendent.

9. lrntn says:

million dollar view indeed !

10. SR Dryja says:

If you hadn’t told me it was blurred, I would have thought it was all part of the set-up, that you were trying to make the “view” appear as a painting in the middle of a large frame. It really makes the house in the background seem done in watercolors where as the graffiti is so vibrant. It’s a great photo!

11. Dia says:

I’m not a photographer so all the amazing, subtle nuances of your work were kind of lost on me. Rather I was first struck by the social commentary of the original art. But then…I love how the photograph takes me yet another step away from the disparity expressed by the graffiti. The telescoping levels of reality and art involved in the photograph are pretty fascinating. Kind of like being in a hall of mirrors. Thanks.

12. EllaDee says:

Clever shot. Well done.

13. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    I like the photo the way it is, and I love how the photo of the actual house is in the middle of all the graffiti,
    Your eye is first drawn to the graffiti, and then you see the house in the middle, it is like 2 different worlds, a great shot.

I see what you are saying. Reality is that little blur that i was talking about is actually not super recognizable on the smaller image above. When I look at it at the full desktop version (like if you click on the image), then it is more evident. I’m glad most folks actually find it better this way, creates some what 3D effect I guess.

14. Alaska Girl at Heart says:

I love this compostion and don’t mind the focus at all. Great photo.

15. truels says:

Outstanding capture with this framing, Dmitrii!!!

16. DoingDewey says:

Wow, I was sure this must be photoshopped, it’s just such an awesome juxtaposition. Awesome shot!

17. abraalani says:

Very cool shot! Bainbridge Island, you say? Seattle’s Bainbridge Island? I’ve been to the island, albeit not the whole thing, but I never came across this place. Want to share your secret location?

18. Great juxtaposition of the irony, like the reality of life underneath the facade (which is all we see of the house). Terrific!

19. Ann Marquez says:

I love it! Excellent statement!

20. Louis says:

A super photo. Had the image have been perfectly sharp all over you would have lost the depth which is a key feature of the picture. The ‘framing’ would compete with the focal point.

21. I ❤ this photo. It's something you don't see everyday.

Awesome shot! 😀

22. Anthropogen says:

At first I tout it was a photo of a house glued on a graffiti-covered wall. Great photo. Hard to get much more visual contrast then that.

23. Ben Leib says:

I can’t tell you how much I love this image.

24. shera says:

great capture! you photos around Washington are making me miss it so much!